Thread: Networks and CCTV

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Networks and CCTV

Trying to find someone who understand networks and CCTV is about as difficult as finding and honest solar installer

Install a 12 x IP camera system, simple right, it would be if you could find the right person who knows what they are talking about.

IF the installation was a simple 4 IP camera system with cables less than 20 m long and a screen right next to the NVR, installers and experts are a dime a dime a dozen.

Start expanding the challenges and boy you going to fall hard if you dont know what you are doing.

What are challenges:

It starts with selecting the correct equipment, mess this up and you are already going down.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Lets look at the switches:

We use Dahua products and the options are pretty limited.

You get a standard gigabit unmanaged switch.

A POE unmanaged switch with (1+8) 1 or 2 (2+8) uplink ports, which offer gigabit speed and the rest are 10/100Mbps.

Then you get gigabit POE switches (10/100/100 Mbps)

Make sure you understand the difference before you try tackle an installation with high resolution (5 MP and up) cameras.

Small installations with 2 MP camera and short runs, you can pretty much buy a kit which anyone can install.

I just needed a new challenge, I am bored with the solar stuff, other than the lithium batteries I pretty much have everything sorted.

I thought installing a few cameras would be easy, once again it boils down to the technical support.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I am tired of solar, the rules that are there but not there scare me.

I looked into CCTV and wanted to do some courses I think through Regal but yet to do it.

From what you saying now you either need to know your stuff and a basic course won't do much.

Already gone through hoops with "knowing solar" and then to get into things that now have am IP and all that seems more than I can take at the moment.

I would love to do it but there is a difference between knowing and actually understanding. The time needed and the lessons required to become understanding is huge. Where you can take a call and go to site and know what is potting is very different to the books and courses done and that takes experience, experience comes from being in the field and learning the hard lessons, often with making no money.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The only way you learn is to get thrown in the deep end, I learn to swim quickly

Its taken a few years, but now I know enough that people cant Bullshyte me or my customers and have the contact details for key people with technical knowledge in their field.

Something you need to learn if you are self employed, who to call when you get stuck and require technical assistance (probably the most important thing and installing product with crap technical support will bring you down), then you need to play nicely with the person who pays the bills or wears the pants in the house, you get that right, you will get paid and you will get good references.

Simple things like greeting everyone in a factory or commercial environment, you never know who is going to get promoted to a position where they will determine your future projects with that company.

Simple things like dropping off a cholate with the person who processes your invoices, will get you paid faster than everyone else. I use to hear about companies waiting 2 months for payments from one of my customers, my payments were done within 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    I am tired of solar, the rules that are there but not there scare me.

I looked into CCTV and wanted to do some courses I think through Regal but yet to do it.

From what you saying now you either need to know your stuff and a basic course won't do much.

Already gone through hoops with "knowing solar" and then to get into things that now have am IP and all that seems more than I can take at the moment.

I would love to do it but there is a difference between knowing and actually understanding. The time needed and the lessons required to become understanding is huge. Where you can take a call and go to site and know what is potting is very different to the books and courses done and that takes experience, experience comes from being in the field and learning the hard lessons, often with making no money.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Found the right person to speak to, design and quote ready.

Like I said, supplying and installing equipment is easy, knowing how to do it right the first time taking into consideration all the complex details comes with the correct training, experience and product technical support, any part of that missing, chances are you going to get caught out sooner or later.

Anyone can become what we call twisters (because they twist and tape), yes it works for a while, sometime a long while, the catch comes in when you want to upgrade. Then it gets tricky , the boxes that are not sealed properly have corroded baluns and power connectors. The wire is CCA and they only use 1 pair of the wire for the power and run standard cat cable or coax underground, sometime in conduit, but due to the water that gets into the pipe no matter how well you glue it, it always gets in.

Another issue I have found, the twisters connect the 12 VDC power for the beams and cameras to the same power supply and that causes all sorts of issues with false alarms during load shedding, especially if the property doesnt have an inverter with an essential supply. This one had me scratching my head.