Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solar panel design

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    What is the ideal system:

1/ The solar panels produce enough power to charge your batteries, power the house during the day and feedback enough electricity to cover the additional municipality costs.

2/ Your batteries are never charged by the grid.

3/ The house can run off battery power in the evening, this people is where the fight starts.

4/ East, West facing solar panels, I can hear the experts screaming at their computer screens, but the data on the app is proving that systems we installed on east facing roofs may not be as efficient as perfectly position tilting North facing roof tops or ground mounts, but producing power from much early in the morning and still producing power late in the afternoon.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The next thing to discuss is optimizers, do you need them or not.

I sort of looked in that direction, heard "expensive" so I didn't even bother wasting time going down that route, however, now that I have a long list of sites which are all different, which I can review actual data and not listening to the gibba gabba (which you need to do at times to learn).

However things are going change and the change is going to create a huge impact on the ROI, every single watt of power you can produce to optimize the system is going to pay off in the long run.

For example the location of the panels in relation to trees and how even a thin tree can reduce the power by as much as 80%, which may not even be a consideration in summer due the angle of the sun during the day, especially if the panels are facing in a certain direction.

Throw in the the winter losses, you could be down to zero, if it was one panel, it wouldn't be a big deal, however as we all know 1 panel in a string and the entire string is affected, hence the need for optimizers.

This is topic I plan to do a lot more research. the cost and the benefits.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    A quick question, does anyone find all this gibba gibba useful ?

The reason I ask, I plan to either employ someone or as I age gracefully to copy and filter all my content on this forum and boy there is a lot to compress into readable articles.

You will notice there are always errors in my content, they are there for a reason for it, I could write the posts in word, spell check and grammar check

It just seems such a waste spending so much time writing all this content for 100 people to read, so my thoughts are to copy it, review it, fact check some of the info and as we have learnt over the years so the content should have become more useable and accurate.

I believe that Because of my extensive experience in all the fields that I work, I could create a pretty informative data base focusing on specific information.

As my health deteriorates and it becomes more of a challenge to stand on top of a 14 ft ladder changing lights bulbs, getting a bit shaky, I might need to slowly starting finding a way to create an income from my knowledge and experience. I could still post threads here and add my personal opinion as I always do. Like or not it makes no difference to me.

Typing these threads helps me with my ADHD, while I post, I do other things like today, I am reviewing and updating customer projects, updating the firmware for the alarm systems, CCTV recorders and cameras and solar inverters and batteries, creating sketches for sites, single line diagrams for solar projects, material lists for quotes that need to be ready for Monday, messaging customer to inform them about the firmware upgrades and typing what is going on in my head with other. I know I said it is waste of my time, but is actually not really because the information I share here is normally directly related to my work.

Another half and hour and my 9 hour shift is done for today, then its time to go spend time with the family and allow my brain to process the information from today, while I relax and watch the grand kids experiencing life with so little to worry about at their age.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123