Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to complete a COC/test report

Platinum Member
    Thanks

How to complete a COC/test report

The idea of this thread is to guide people in the right direction, with regards to COC/test reports.

Scope of work:

1/ Rewire the house and upgrade the DB's to suit.

2/Design and install an 8 kw inverter, 2 x 5.1 kwh batteries and 7 x 545 watt solar panels.

The site is made up of the following sections

* House - ground floor and first floor

*Outbuilding

*Garage

*Pool

*Gate

*8 KW solar installation

Main DB (Essential)

Sub DB 1,2,3,4 and the inverter controls. (Essential and non essential)

Front page - the COC
    Back page of the COC - Test report for the main DB
    Page 1 - Sub DB 1, Annexure 1
    Page 2 - Sub DB 2, annexure 2
    Page 3 - Sub DB 3, Annexure 3
    Page 4 - Sub DB 4, Annexure 4
    Page 5 - Inverter controls.

This might change slightly as I am doing this as I go work through the site.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Before I look at the COC document, I create a sketch of the property and as I do the visual inspection, then mark all the electrical points and make notes of any non compliant items.

Then I go to each DB with a standard DB layout document that I have created with a list all the DB components, Isolators, circuit breakers and any other items in the DB, relay wifi devices etc.. At the same time I check the wire size and take pictures of everything.

The single line diagram for the solar was already done when I did the design for the site.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The sketches are complete, points identified and visual inspection complete. By the way this is actually being done on a site that we are busy working.

Non compliant items identified:

*Box covers missing.

*DB labels require attention.

*Damaged light fittings to be replaced.

*Conduits require attention, saddle spacing too far apart, results in sagging (PVC).

*Exposed wiring requires attention

*dodgy connections on floodlights (this is becoming common), the floodlight cable is too short, which results in people using connector blocks and tape to extend the wire.

*Geyser bonding required, an insurance replacement was done, now there is no bonding, some might say if the reading is correct there need, I dont really care, I am not taking a change, it takes 10 minutes to wrap a piece of bonding strap, fit 2 x M5 brass nuts, bolts and washers and a short piece of 2.5mm earth wire

*Bonding plates require don the solar panels, there are only 6 panels.

*Another common problem, the PEC supply cable has a red piece of insulation pushed over the earth wire which results in the entire surfix sheath and earth wire being live (used for the lights return). If it not a 3 core cabtyre, it this dangerous sleeved earth wire.

We are only responsible for the house rewire and solar installation, but considering all the non complaint items identified while creating the sketch, we are going to test the entire property.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Now it is time to start with the COC document.

Annexure 1 - If you dont know how to fill out this first page, I would suggest you maybe look at becoming a gardener or painter.

My document has NM at the top of the page because I dont belong to an association.

Initial certificate will be ticked, because this will become the COC for the entire property and referenced for any additional work in the future.
    If the house is sold within the next 2 years this COC can be used for the sale of the property.

The rest is just the address, identification and declarations.

The recipient must sign the bottom of the page.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Now we move onto the Test report for elctrical installations, this is the part that seems to confuse most registered electricians.
    This will be completed as it is required for the site

Top right,
    you fill out he certificate number and date of issue. Once the site is compliant and ready to issue the document then I will fill in this information.

Top left,
    Test report for DB/supply : Main DB

Additional pages : Yes : number added (not sure how many pages yet, will update once completed)

Section 1 : I dont need to fill in this information because the address is provided on the COC.

Section 2:

X - Permanent installation

X - TN-S

X - 230V

X - one phase

N/A - phase rotation ( single phase)

X - 50 hz

X Switch disconnector (on load isolator)

Number of poles - 2
    Current rating - 60 A
    Short circuit rating - 3 KA (provided by supplier)
    Rated earth earth leakage - 30 mA
    Surge protection - yes
    Lightning protection - no
    Alternate supply - Yes
    Any part specialized - no
    any part above 1KV - no (This gets a little tricky because the solar panels are rated to 1.5 KV, however the rating for this specific installation will not exceed 450 VDC)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    This is where it starts getting interesting. Feel free to add your comments.

Section 3

Description of installation covered by this report
    Refer to attached annexure A (attached page). Coming up with names to reference the additional pages could be improved. I cross out this section and add pages with a more detailed descriptions.

Attached document
    (Essential)

Main switch - 60 map D/P - 1
    SPD - type 2 - 1
    MCB - 50 amp - inverter - 1
    MCB - 40 amp - Stove - 1
    MCB - 30 amp - Sub DB 2

ELU - 60 amp - 1
    MCB - 20 amp - plugs - (P1) - circuits -1 (dishwasher)
    MCB - 20 amp - plugs - (P2) - circuits -1 (Kettle, toaster)
    MCB - 20 amp - plugs - (P3/5) - circuits - 2 (microwave and counter plugs)
    MCB - 20 amp combo - Geyser (ASC control)

there is also a column for the wire size out of each mcb.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Section 4 - inspection and tests (Fluke multi function tester)

1. Conductors are the correct rating ............. yes
    2. Components correct ...... yes
    3. Disconnecting devices ........ yes
    4. Circuit breakers, fuses, switches........ yes

Tests Continuity of banding - compliant - yes
    Resistance of earth continuity conductors - compliant - yes
    Continuity of ring circuits - N/A
    Earth loop impedance at the main switch - 0.68 ohms
    Neutral loop impedance at the main switch - 0. 43 ohms
    PSCC at the main switch - 578 KA
    Elevated voltage between neutral and earth - 1.26 V
    Insulation resistance - this is a tricky one because of all the electronics in the building, LEDS, even light switches are smart switches. If you start pumping 500 Volts in the wiring, you could end with a huge problem. You might be better off just choosing a number greater than 1 M ohm. If I suspect there is a or the circuits not connected to the ELU, I disconnect the wiring and test or use the 250 V setting on the meter.
    I then use the leakage clamp tester and put it around the live and neutral or the earth wire.
    No load voltage test - 224.6 V
    with load voltage test - 220.4 V
    Earth leakage test - 24 mA
    Operation of the leakage test button - correct
    Polarity of points - correct
    3 phase rotation - N/A
    All switches make and break - correct

Just to add, something I started doing since I had a high loop impedance test on a site while do the on load voltage test, I plug the tester into a socket outlet, switch on as much load as possible, then do a loop test, if there is a loose connection on the supply, this reading will be over 10. If you do the loop test at the main DB without the load it could still be within the required limits.

Comments or parts no covered by the COC, another interesting part.
    All the security lights are plugged into a socket outlet and wired with 1.5 mm cabtyre in conduits.
    Would these security lights be excluded ? Let us know your thoughts because this ha caused a few disagreements in the past. The way I see it, as soon as you secure or bury any equipment it becomes a fixture.
    If you sell the house for example, the lights cannot be removed, so now they must be included in the COC ?

Section 5

You just fill in your details and sign.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Tomorrow we will repair as we go and move to the next DB. You should have a good idea of what is required on the test report document.

Now it is just do the same thing for all the other DB's.

Once the elctrical installation is tested, I will move over to the solar installation and run through the tests.

IF you want more details on certain parts, I am sure one of the regulars on this forum will assist or add specific regs from the book.

This is not a pissing contest, it is to try help anyone who either doesn't understand sections or parts of the test report.

If you have any tips, lets hear them.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The big question is which solar COC document should I use, there are a number of them doing the rounds at the moment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    Section 4 - inspection and tests (Fluke multi function tester)

1. Conductors are the correct rating ............. yes
    2. Components correct ...... yes
    3. Disconnecting devices ........ yes
    4. Circuit breakers, fuses, switches........ yes

Tests Continuity of banding - compliant - yes
    Resistance of earth continuity conductors - compliant - yes
    Continuity of ring circuits - N/A
    Earth loop impedance at the main switch - 0.68 ohms
    Neutral loop impedance at the main switch - 0. 43 ohms
    PSCC at the main switch - 578 KA
    Elevated voltage between neutral and earth - 1.26 V
    Insulation resistance - this is a tricky one because of all the electronics in the building, LEDS, even light switches are smart switches. If you start pumping 500 Volts in the wiring, you could end with a huge problem. You might be better off just choosing a number greater than 1 M ohm. If I suspect there is a or the circuits not connected to the ELU, I disconnect the wiring and test or use the 250 V setting on the meter.
    I then use the leakage clamp tester and put it around the live and neutral or the earth wire.
    No load voltage test - 224.6 V
    with load voltage test - 220.4 V
    Earth leakage test - 24 mA
    Operation of the leakage test button - correct
    Polarity of points - correct
    3 phase rotation - N/A
    All switches make and break - correct

Just to add, something I started doing since I had a high loop impedance test on a site while do the on load voltage test, I plug the tester into a socket outlet, switch on as much load as possible, then do a loop test, if there is a loose connection on the supply, this reading will be over 10. If you do the loop test at the main DB without the load it could still be within the required limits.

Comments or parts no covered by the COC, another interesting part.
    All the security lights are plugged into a socket outlet and wired with 1.5 mm cabtyre in conduits.
    Would these security lights be excluded ? Let us know your thoughts because this ha caused a few disagreements in the past. The way I see it, as soon as you secure or bury any equipment it becomes a fixture.
    If you sell the house for example, the lights cannot be removed, so now they must be included in the COC ?

Section 5

You just fill in your details and sign.
    Two comments.

1) Your PSCC at main switch reading seems suspect unless its a typo.

2) Lights on plugs. I see it that the wiring to the lights are not included as the coc covers only up to the point of consumption ( socket outlet ).
    The fact that the lights are a fixture is neither here nor there. If they were on a switch or wired through an isolator or day / night switch then the wiring
    up to the actual fitting will be included in the coc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast