Thread: New South African plug standard

Platinum Member
    Thanks

New South African plug standard

Even though the standard is old and Isetech loves complaining about it , I thought I would paste the link to the article as it explains how it came about

Seems like it is here to stay and for the SANS 164-2 socket to become preferred - You cant always believe everything you read on My Broadband

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/techn...allations.html

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It is the most ridiculous standard I have seen since I became an electrician.

As mentioned in the article back in 2028 even the appliance companies are laughing it off, it must have been made on the 1st April.

If by some miracle, someone actually identifies that you haven't installed sockets as per this reg, you just use one of these statements.

"It is therefore not currently necessary for South Africans to switch the electrical sockets in their homes."

Gianfranco Campetti, the chairman of the working group that looks after the standard, said industry has been slow to respond and use the standard in essential products.
    He said the appliance industry in particular has been slow to provide goods with the new plug."

Do I think there is a place for these silly sockets, of course I do, for example: coffee shops, at the table, it works because I can plug my laptop, phone or other devices in while I sit and do my admin work. while enjoying a coffee or lunch.

A R200k project we completed recently, I fitted them were we felt would be appropriate.

Another project we installed 4 of the 30 socket outlets are silly plugs, in fact 1 of them all, 6 outlets on the 4x4 are silly sockets, why because it is the place where the electronic device charging will be done.

If by some miracle it ever ended up in court, it would thrown out for wasting the courts time.

People need to stop wasting time on stupid regulations like this and try focus on the real problems in the industry, and boy is this industry a sinking ship which seems the captain and crew have already abandoned, and the people left on it are just running wild, it has become a free for all.

When it comes to SANS regs, just smile

SANS, 6 second robot pauses, statins, all seem to fall in the same category at the moment
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    To add to the sillyness, has anyone noticed the plug top that is fitted to power tools, are we now going to change the rule to allow for shuko plug tops ?

Can somebody please make up your mind which socket is going to be the standard.

Then enforce the rule so that everyone complies, electricians, appliances and power tools.

It is bad enough the electrical industry is winning the race to the bottom, fuel it with this stupidity just makes us look worse.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    IF you took the time to research how this sillyness came came about, it was suppose to prevent fires caused by double adaptors, I would much rather have a solid brass SANS 164-1 type plug top connected to my tumble drier than a silly plug.

I am yet to be called out to a fire caused by double adaptors behind a TV cabinet where there are 50 x 2 pin plug tops connected to a double adaptor then to an extender plug, however I can show you a long list of tumble dyers (the most common), extended aircon leads (burnt the building to the ground) , washing machines, toasters and a common one since cable thefts started, the loss of the neutral, everything burns.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    This is becoming as embarrassing as neutral/earth bonding and lithium battery locations