Thread: Extreme Occupational Health and Safety risks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Extreme Occupational Health and Safety risks

I have received an RFQ which lists some rather extreme Health and Safety risks that need to be dealt with in the Safety Plan.

The site is a remote dam and involves maintenance against burrowing pests and wild life on the earthen dam walls.

The risk I am struggling to think of how to manage adequately is "Risk of staff being robbed, risk of assault"

I have a risk mitigation in place for vehicle hijacking, but have never had to consider risk of robbery and assault in a remote area - which seems a rather more significant risk than in a typical urban setting.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this before?
    Any suggestions?

(I'm seriously considering declining to tender).

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    We used to do a fair amount of streetlighting projects in the informal areas where the problem was similar
    The SME forums are even bigger risks when it comes to assault
    After being held by 50 of the " ward committee members" and having to deal with councilors, threat of vans being burnt and prevent being stabbed was the last time.
    That was back in 2017 but it did give me a kick up the butt to make a phone call the next day that I had been putting off in case my life came to an end.The result of the phone call was happy as I went from perceived childless to grandfather in 60sec.

The end of the saga was we decided against putting ourselves at that risk again - The previous site the main contractor employed arm security guards to look after the site which was over a distance of 2km for a road upgrade and street lights.
    Even then the site office was robbed 3 times and people on site robbed weekly of phones etc
    Site manager eventually had a breakdown and resigned

Back to the question - if the area is remote and not going to be to wild maybe just put in the file that you will place a staff member in s strategic position to keep a visual check on any persons approaching at which time you will vacate staff from the area - That the staff member watching will not be involved in any work to distract his attention from the task at hand
    2nd Option that we used on a "park upgrade" was to contract to a local security company , they installed a radio link with alarm panel and everyone carried a panic button around there necks - Had an incident while on the site and the guys locked themselves in the container and push panic button. Helped that the security company also guarded the police station as funny as that may sound.
    3rd Option - employ the services of armed response guards to accompany your guys at all times

Without knowing the duration of the work on site along with not knowing what remote means , it is difficult to make the call from my desk.

It does sound like you could be wasting time pricing as you will more than likely outprice yourself and the option to walk away may be best.

The job sounds almost impossible without the security risks involved as I cant see how you will stop a bush pig or warthog burying into the dam wall as not even a elephant electrical fence stops them

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (10-Sep-24)